Manbhum Mahavidyalaya, established on 22 July 1986, was initially affiliated to the University of Burdwan. On 5 January 2011, its affiliation shifted to Sidho-Kanho-Birsha University, Purulia.
The college was established with a view to extend academic knowledge, to offer a scope for higher education and all round development to its students, especially to those who came from economically backward and socially down-trodden section in its surrounding area.
The college came into existence primarily as a result of enterprise and responsibilities undertaken by local residents and social workers with lofty objectives. The college building came up with admirable support from the local residents and Purulia Zilla Parishad.
The college is situated at the base of a hillock, surrounded by calm atmosphere free from din and bustle of the town. It is 54 km. away from the District Head Quarter and 3 km. away from the Manbazar Town giving it an ideal academic environment.
The college is working in a rural, tribal and backward area of the district. Around 75% students are from SC, ST and OBC categories, of them a conspicuous number of students are first generation learners and economically in the BPL strata.
Thus, Manbhum Mahavidyalaya can be regarded as a higher education institute which is of the people, by the people, for the people of its local community.
Besides, Manbhum Mahavidyalaya has the following points of distinctiveness –
- The students and teachers frequently interact with each other very informally and they have very good rapport.
- Santali Department of the college has great strength of catering the needs of the ST students of the district.
- A congenial physical and social environment prevails in the campus with least internal and external disturbance.
- Committed staffs are one of the great assets of the college.
- A few teachers of the college are also exposed to the teaching in University and other colleges.